Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pranayama + Meditation = Calm

Image Source: Meditation Temptation
Do you ever have days (okay, maybe weeks or months) where you feel overwhelmed? 

I find that when I feel this way the best thing to do is practice pranayama and meditate.

Pranayama is the practice of controlled breathing, inhaling and exhaling to bring oxygen flow to the blood and brain in order to control vital energy.  Here is a good description / tutorial for my favorite type of pranayama.  I find that this particular method totally calms my nerves and balances my mind when I feel like life is spinning out of control.

Its common to think of meditation as sitting still for hours all ooooommmmmm-y.  I personally don't  meditate well when still, so my preferred method of meditating comes in the form of walking or hiking.  I love being close to nature, hearing birds chip, leaves blow.  I find that when I can just let go of the cell phone, laptop, thoughts of chaos...I find clarity in moving meditation that calms me down.  I try to think only positive thoughts as I move and this generally makes me feel way happier once my walk is over, as well!

Just thought I would share a couple of my anxiety remedies.  Maybe you will find them useful!

xoxox,

L.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment