Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Feel Good Wednesday - 5 Ways To Fight The Blues

Image Source: unknown
I usually go through a period of adjustment and sadness when I get back from a trip.   Back to work, back to the grind, no more lazy days and Bloody Mary's at noon - I think all that warrants sadness, right? 

I think my trip back home this weekend, paired with the January SoCal rain is the culprit behind my blues this week.

As a serial optimist, I'm not one to acknowledge let alone post about feeling down, but I wanted to try to find the silver lining in feelings by sharing 5 ways I fight the blues.

1) Make a list of all the good things in your life.
I know this one seems obvious and silly, but I find that if I make a list of all of the things I perceive as "good" in my life I realize that there is always, ALWAYS a reason to smile. :)

2) Browse the internet for inspirational quotes. (Like the one above!!)
I love doing this because not only do quotes give me a mantra to get through a sad day, but also they are proof that as humans, we are all connected.  We all get hurt, feel sadness, and eventually find happiness again.  Quotes give me hope and help me feel connected.

3) Exercise
Of course an avid health advocate and Core Fusion teacher would say this, right?  But seriously, just moving around, getting outside and seeing nature boosts your endorphins and make you feel better.  Don't let the blues make you a bed slug.  Get up, get out, and sweat.  You'll thank me.

4) Talk
A good glass of wine and better conversation can always help me get over the blues.  Sometimes, I just need to talk about what is making me sad until I am sick of hearing my own voice whine about it.  Not sure if this works for everyone, but give it a try!  Talking for two hours about one sad subject can make anyone want to move on!

5) Veg, Splurge, Treat
The point here is that when you are down, let yourself have one thing you want.  Maybe you want to veg out on the couch and have a movie marathon, something you never allow time for (this happens to be my personal favorite coping mechanism of all listed here).  Maybe that means allowing yourself to buy the dress, bag, necklace, whatever that you have been eyeing but not buying.  Yes, shopping really can be therapeutic.  Maybe its treating yourself to a massage, a scoop of your favorite ice cream, a facial etc.  Sometimes the best thing we can do when we are sad is to just take a time out from life and take care of ourselves.

I hope these ideas help you when you are feeling down.

I'm curious, do any of you get post-trip sadness? Do you get sad after you've gone home? Do you get the winter weather blues? Do you have any other ideas to fight the blues?

xoxo,

L.A.


No comments:

Post a Comment