Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Out With The Old, Home

I remember before getting married being constantly reminded not to change post-nuptials.  Every one from my very best friends to family to random strangers had some sort of advice to give, "don't cut your hair, don't gain love weight, don't lose the romance, don't blah blah blah."


At the time, I couldn't have agreed more.  Chris fell in love with Lindsey Long, exactly the way I was.  Why would I need to change?


Of course, after getting married, everything really does change.  For me, at least.  I am now Lindsey Arotin, for one.  I am a new woman.  And, all women know that when one thing changes, it leads to the desire to change everything!


I did cut my hair, but not short.  Just layers and bangs.  So far, I have no love weight - wooohooo! But, I have also changed my diet and exercise habits, a little.


I think the biggest change I have noticed and the real point of this post is the change in my home.  More, the HUGE desire I feel to my make house, a real home.


When we bought our bungalow last July, I was so focused on the details of the wedding that I must have just thrown things on the wall and in corners rather than taking the time to style.  The moment the honeymoon and wedding madness died down, I had a chance to look around.  What a random mix-mess we were living in! 


The issue driving me most insane was my dining room chair set.  I purchased my table and chairs from this awesome hotel furniture resell shop, (if you live anywhere near LA, this is a MUST CHECK OUT) to go in my last apartment.  The chairs are all different stains of wood.  My vision was to reupholster the chairs, so that the cushions would match, bringing the set together.


My plan was slightly interrupted by our engagement and wedding and yada, so nearly 2 years later, I found myself staring at my mix-match chair set.  Something HAD to be done.


I drove straight to F&S Fabrics after work the day after my chair melt down and found the most delicious off-white, natural-colored-ish canvas fabric with french writing.  I was sold.  My dining room has a vintage, french, rustic feel, so this fabric was more than a winner.


I had never reupholstered anything in my life, so I went to YouTube and found my tutorial video.  It wasn't hard at all!  A little measuring, cutting, pulling and stapling, after taking the chair apart and removing the cushions and I have myself new cushions!



This is one of my chair cushions after I removed it from the chair and took off the underlining fabric.  In total, it took probably 30 minutes to take off all 4 cushions and remove the underlining.
My trusty scissors and staple gun.
After the tugging and stapling, it was time to take my cushions outside for some Scotch Gard!  For those who don't know, Scotch Gard is magic if you want to have white-ish dining room fabric and pets or kids.  You just spray 2 coats and it works as a spill repellent, stain resister!
Viola! My completed chair cushions!

Here is a little glimpse at my handy work - see the cushions on the chair on the right?! 
This was taken after a little dinner party a few weeks back.  Someone threw Miles's favorite toy on the table, so of course even the spray bottle couldn't keep him away!

If you want to try reupholstering yourself, the link to the video I gave is SUPER easy to follow and I think better to understand than step-by-step, written instructions from me.  But, please feel free to comment with any questions and I will help anyway I can!

Hope you all have a lovely Tuesday filled with change, love, and home-styling inspiration!

xoxoxoxoxox,

L.A.

1 comment: